Thursday, July 28, 2022

Alien Hunter, by Whitley Strieber

I read a few of the early Whitley Strieber novels decades ago, and found them good enough that I felt I should return sometime to read more. So I picked up Alien Hunter (2013), which is the first of three "Flynn Carroll" thrillers. Either my memory is wrong, or Strieber has gone down the tubes in the post-Communion era. Though it begins carefully, fleshing out the characters and situation, it's not long before all that is dropped and Streiber moves completely into thriller mode--a relentlessly paced, illogical, and at times nonsensical story. The back-story of the book is actually intriguing--some criminal mastermind (the title gives it away as an alien) has been abducting selective humans, and a secret government organization is on the case. Flynn Carroll, a Texas police officer, is recruited, so the story unfolds to the reader as it does to Flynn Carroll.  But soon (as the story reaches Las Vegas, appropriately enough) it becomes simply ridiculous. Hollywood evidently saw some potential in the book, for the Sy-Fy channel based a series on it, titled more simply, Hunters (2016), but other than the basic set-up, the series bears little relation to the plot of Strieber's novel. Thus, two failures, from the same idea. For decades I have had an annoying mind-worm in that every time I see Strieber's first name, I hear in my head the young girl Newt, in the film Aliens, screaming "Whitleeey!" Now you have the mind-worm too. You are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment