Monday, January 1, 2024

The Twits, by Roald Dahl

I was inspired recently to look to some Roald Dahl children's books that I didn't read when I was younger, and I picked The Twits to read first. It's an odd tale, concerning a very unpleasant married couple, Mr. Twit and Mrs. Twit, who prank each other when they aren't tormenting monkeys or collecting birds to make up a weekly dish, Bird Pie. The only plot to the book concerns revenge, and how the monkeys and birds work together to end the terror of the Twits. A pleasant read, of its kind, but not one of Dahl's best. It's pretty short too, and many pages have characteristic Quentin Blake illustrations, which add to the charm of the book. I understand that Neflix has announced a new animated movie of The Twits coming out in 2025. It will need more plot to turn this book into a film.

No comments:

Post a Comment